The people of South Africa need to learn new skills and find suitable work, thus, Seta aims in delivering these, to aid in stabilizing the economy, while promoting a skilled workforce. Yearly we see thousands of matriculates enter the workforce, but only about 10% find suitable work. Learnerships gives these candidates new skills and enables them to be better prepared to enter the workforce. South Africa has more than 4 million unemployed people, this is mainly due to a shortage of skills.
The economy has 23 sectors, and each of these a Seta division to aid in filling scarce skill shortages. Each sector is related to different industries. These fall under public and private sectors. Each sector of Seta promotes and aids in promoting, facilitating and developing training and education with all levels of business.
With the help that is provided by Seta, and all its sectors we see the following:
- Higher levels of skilled workers
- A balancing of the supply and demand in the workforce
- In-service training providing education via flexible and diverse routes
- A wider selection of career options
- The quality of education is improved, delivering better-skilled workers
- A stabilizing in the economy as more individuals receive an income
- Better communications between private and public sectors
- Higher productivity in all sectors
They provide learnerships for entry-level candidates, as well as other levels of education. Employment is not guaranteed with any of the learnerships they assist with, it only aids in better preparing candidates for permanent positions within a specific field.
Seta Learnerships Available
There are several learnerships made available yearly, some may include the following options for candidates:
- Hygiene and Cleaning
- Labour Recruitment Consultancy
- Funeral Services
- Funeral Directing
- Marketing and Sales
- Customer Management
- Call/Contact Centre Operator
- Call/Contact Centre Management
- Property Practitioner
- Business Advertising
- Public Relations
- Beauty Technology
- Nail Technology
- Business Practice
- Project Management
Seta Learnerships Minimum Requirements
Candidates between the ages of 18 and 30. Candidates must include a detailed curriculum vitae with contact details, contactable references as well as any information they feel may be pertinent to their application. Please also include certified copies of all relevant certificates, ID, and proof of address no older than three months. Candidates must be permanent South African residents and citizens.
Most candidates will also be required to have the following:
- English, read, write and speak
- Computer literate
- Candidates must not have a permanent employment
- Be self-motivated and a team player
- Candidates must not be registered with any other institute for a learnership
- Candidates must not be studying at an institute of higher learning
- Flexibility with a commitment to learn, but moreover willingness to work
How to Apply
The following offices can be contacted:
Western Cape – 021 946 4022
Northern Cape – 053 832 0051
Eastern Cape – 043 726 8314
Kwa-Zulu Natal – 031 304 5930 / 2
Mpumalanga – 087 700 8113
Free State – 051 430 5072
North West – 018 294 5280
Gauteng – 011 403 1301
Limpopo – 015 295 9303
Learnerships online applications processes are not available. Candidates can contact the department within their area for forms, information, and available learnerships or visit their website.
Seta learnerships have a variety of closing dates. These dates will depend on the learnership available.
Only apply within a field that you would like to pursue as a career. Remember to sign all forms, and complete them fully. Application missing certified documents, will not be considered.